I was out of town this weekend visiting family. While family trips to attend family functions are fun (my daughter only had 10 meltdowns), my husband and I always return home exhausted.
After we stumbled through the door, my daughter seamlessly laid down for her nap (hooray!). I was hoping my son would plop on the couch and watch TV or take a nap (which is what I wanted to do), but he wanted to conduct a science experiment, bake cookies, make lemonade, and take pictures!
I let him take a couple of pictures with my camera. His photos of objects extremely close are brilliant! He convinced my husband to make lemonade. Lastly, he started to pull out ingredients to bake cookies. With all the decadent food we enjoyed this weekend, I agreed to baking but only to my healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread.
My son sprayed the loaf pan, squeezed in a splash of lemon juice, shredded the zucchini, held the grater while I shredded more zucchini, and finally decided to rest (thank goodness)! We baked a scrumptious yet healthy treat to for everyone enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
- baking spray (for loaf pan)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour or white flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- about 2 cups shredded zucchini- 2 big or 3 small zucchinis
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- *a quick squeeze of lemon juice if your child insists
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, yogurt, oil, flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and zucchini. *And a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Gently blend in chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the top of bread is golden brown and fork comes out clean from the middle. This delicious bread tastes best when cooled down and even better throughout the week!