Summer is coming and with that comes gardening season. Spice up your backyard garden or planters with some bright, painted ladybug rocks. Make an entire family of ladybugs to help explore your garden and watch it grow!
- Rocks, with a flat top
- Acrylic paint, red and black
- Sharpie marker, black
- Googly eyes
- Glue or hot glue gun
- If needed, wash off any dirt or dust from your rocks and dry them.
- Paint the entire surface of the rock red to create the ladybug body. It may require multiple coats of paint to achieve the desired color of red.
- Once dried completely, draw a straight line down the center of the rock with a black Sharpie marker.
- With either black paint or a black Sharpie, create the head of the ladybug by creating a semi-circle shape at one end of the rock and filling it in with black.
- Using the Sharpie or black paint, create as many black dots on the wings of the ladybug body.
- With glue or a hot glue gun, attach two googly eyes on the head of the body.
This article originally appeared in the May 2019 issue of Chicago Parent. Read the rest of the issue.