With the Polar Vortex hitting Chicago (winter has arrived way too early!), here is a warm dinner recipe for the whole family to enjoy! You can select the roasted veggies your kids prefer and add chicken sausage for some protein.
This recipe requires simple ingredients and is quick to prepare. Let your kids get their hands messy by coating and tossing the mixed vegetables with the olive oil. Teach them fine motor skills by allowing them to carefully shred the cheese and sprinkle it on themselves. Enjoy!
Chicken Sausage Pasta with Roasted Veggies
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped, or 1 head broccoli, chopped into pieces (you know what your kids like to eat best!)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 tsp. extra virgin olive oil plus 2 Tbsp.
- 1 tsp. both salt and pepper
- 4 servings whole grain pasta
- 4 links chicken sausage, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix cauliflower, zucchini/broccoli, and shallots with oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast until tender or about 20 minutes.
While veggies are roasting, cook pasta according to directions. When pasta is done, drain and reserve 1 cup cooking water.
Return pasta to pot, stir in veggies, reserved cooking water, 2 Tbsp. olive oil and chicken sausage. Serve topped with Parmesan.