Looking for a fabulous pin gone right? Every so often, I’ll feature some successes that I’ve had on the pinning front to encourage you to actually test out what you’re pinning. This week, I’m featuring Twirl & Tastes’s Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup.
With sickness running rampant in our house (including sore throats), we opted for something warm and soothing – what better than soup? Knowing I could pair it with a sandwich or freeze it, we were set. I found Twirl and Tasty’s recipe and after my husband discovered we were missing some of the ingredients, we improvised.
Here’s our final ingredient list:
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, remove ribs and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 head of fresh broccoli & 16 oz. frozen broccoli
- Roux (equal parts butter & flour, cooked until slightly thickened)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups half and half
- Shredded cheese for garnish
This recipe was quick and easy. We already had homemade frozen broth, so we utilized that in the recipe.
- Cook onions & celery in butter until softened.
- Add broccoli & broth, simmer 15 minutes until soft (it will be breaking apart!)
- Meanwhile, prepare your roux in a separate pan and add to soup, along with salt, pepper to taste and your half & half. Let it simmer for a bit, allowing it to thicken and disk all along.
- When ready, serve at your convenience (including cheese).
This was SO delicious, easy to make, and added some extra veggies to our day. I loved being able to freeze the extra for later lunches or dinners as well.
What’s your favorite comfort food when you’re sick? Pin it and tag us @ChiParent.