With a busy summer schedule and crazy working hours, putting dinner on the table has been quite a challenge lately. After eating spinach and eggs two nights in a row, I turned to Pinterest and simply looked up “chicken casserole” in the search bar. The list that came up looked appetizing and simple to put together.
- 1/2 cup prepared Caesar salad dressing
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (we left them out)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (didn’t have on hand, so removed)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated (used Parmesan instead)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (dried parsley works fine, but use more to accommodate flavor)
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
Marinate chicken breasts in dressing for a few hours. Meanwhile, cook bacon in pan until crisp, remove and leave 2 Tbsp. of the fat. Cook chicken in bacon fat until well browned – the chicken will continue to cook in the casserole dish once in the oven.
Remove bacon fat from the pan and add 3 Tbsp. of butter, stir in onions and caramelize. Add in 3 Tbsp. of flour and cook for one minute. Stir broth and cream together, boiling consistently and then remove from the heat.
Stir in seasonings and cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Prepare pasta while the chicken is in the oven. Combine together and serve topped with crumbled bacon, tomatoes and cheese.
What’s your favorite go-to recipe in a pinch? Do you look to Pinterest, Facebook or a recipe book? Check out our Pinterest page for even more ideas!