Rather than the traditional homemade ornaments as gifts this holiday season, try this easy and impressive personalized picture snow globe for your friends and family. Shake it up and let this snow globe shimmer for the holidays.
1. Pick a photo of your child to use in the snow globe. A fullbody picture works better than just a face. Cut out around thebody.
2. Using the laminate paper pouch, found at any craft or officesupply store, laminate your cutout picture.
3. Once you’ve laminated the picture, cut out the figure again.Make sure you leave an edge around the picture so it remainstightly sealed.
4. Make a slit in the Styrofoam ball and if necessary, cut it inhalf. You also can paint and glitter the ball, but make sure itdries completely before use.
5. Slide the laminated picture into the ball toward the front sothat it stands up straight. Seal the picture into the slit of theball with the hot glue.
6. Then glue the ball on the inside lid of the jar.
7. Check to make sure the embellishments are OK to be in waterand the materials won’t dye the water. You may want to soak them inwater beforehand to test.
8. Glue your embellishments around the picture to make abackground scene. Leave enough room around the edge of the lid soit fits back into the jar. Test to make sure it fits before fillingthe jar with water.
9. Next, fill up your jar almost to the top with water. Addglitter to the water. Large flecks of glitter show up a littlebetter than fine glitter, but both will work.
10. Add glycerin to the water, which will help the glitter floata bit slower. Use 2-3 teaspoons of glycerin per cup of water.
11. Now insert the design attached to the lid into thewater-filled jar. Make sure the picture lines up with a smoothsurface of the jar when it’s screwed tightly for the best view. Youcan put hot glue on the lid to seal it closed once it’s in thecorrect alignment.
- Mason jar (or any clear jar with a tight lid)
- 4×6 photo picture
- Laminate paper pouch
- Mini styrofoam balls
- Holiday embellishments (such as mini bells, small acorns, miniChristmas trees, fake berries)
- Glycerin (can be found at any craft store)
- Glue gun and hot glue sticks