I am not sure how weekend mornings have turned into a baking ritual. After my daughter watched her first show of the day, she asked if we could make banana cake. As usual, I had rotten bananas sitting untouched in a bowl. We created a healthy protein-packed weekend breakfast treat–Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars.
My daughter mashed, stirred, snuck a couple of chocolate chips into her mouth and turned the oven light on and off until the banana bars rose. I was nervous how this no-added-sugar treat would turn out but the touch of buttermilk, olive oil and vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt made these bars moist and perfectly sweetened.
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas- mashed
- 4 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (for an Omega-3 and fiber boost)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas and combine with PB, buttermilk, yogurt and egg. Stir.
- Add in olive oil, honey, applesauce, whole wheat flour and baking soda.
- Blend in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into 8×8 baking pan and bake for 35-38 minutes.