For a meal that I can prep in advance, I like to make meatloaf. In an effort to appeal to my kiddos, I had them help me prepare it and bake the meatloaf into cupcakes. They were confused at first when I pulled out meat and not sugar but in the end, they loved their cupcake creation!
My daughter enjoyed getting her hands dirty by blending the ingredients together. I was happy to prep the meatloaf in advance and had my son help me brush on the topping before popping them into the oven. I hope your family loves this fun and simple meatloaf recipe. These cupcakes are also terrific as an appetizer!
Meatloaf Cupcakes with Ketchup and BBQ Sauce Frosting
- 1 ½ lbs ground sirloin
- ½ cup carrots-finely diced
- ¼ cup white onion- finely diced
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup ketchup for mixture plus ¼ cup ketchup for frosting
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard plus ½ tsp for frosting
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce plus 1 tbsp BBQ sauce for frosting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine meat, diced carrots, diced onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, breadcrumbs, egg and ¼ cup ketchup. Use your hands to really blend ingredients together.
3. Mold the meat to form 12 cupcake shapes and place in a lined or greased muffin tray.
4. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup ketchup, ½ tsp mustard and 1 tbsp BBQ sauce for topping. Brush “frosting” over each cupcake.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.