Don’t let today’s school cancellations dissolve into the all-too-familiar squeal of “Moooommmm, I’m bored.” Here are five ways to battle the cold with family fun.
1. Get free admission to Chicago museums – Get your museum on. Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry are all offering free admission to Illinois residents today. So get the kids bundled up A Christmas Story-style, go exploring and learn something new.
2. Indoor play places – Chicago is blessed with a cornucopia of indoor play centers and places. Check out the newest play place hotspot, Little Beans Café – Evanston, or stick to an old favorite from our list of the 12 best indoor play places. If you’re hoping to use today for adult fun too, check out some of the city’s best mall play spaces, where the kids can play as a treat for letting you shop to your heart’s content.
3. Cold Day? More like Craft Day – The cold weather is the perfect opportunity to try out some of those kid crafts you’ve been pinning. If you’re out of inspiration, try creating these glittery crystal snowflakes, made from basic home goods.
4. The best Ho-Cho in Chi-town – Nothing sounds yummier when it’s freezing out than a steaming cup of hot chocolate. Mix up a batch of your own, or try a cup from our list of favorite hot chocolate spots in Chicago.
5. Candy cane remix – Two things always seem to linger for months after the holiday season – that bit of extra holiday weight and leftover candy canes. Put your leftover candy canes to use while you’re stuck inside today with our creative ways to repurpose the forgotten peppermint sticks.