My son adores chinese food, especially chicken fried rice. Since most fried rice from restaurants are loaded with sodium and super greasy, I created a healthy version with brown rice so my son could indulge in his favorite rice dish every week!
After an exhausting day, this yummy recipe is quick and easy! My daughter utilized her tiny arm muscles by helping stir together the ingredients. While my kiddos did not make their usual mess helping me cook, it was allowing them to eat with chopsticks that was the messy part!
Before you go out and buy the ingredients for the healthy take on this classic Chinese dish, buy a pair of cooking scissors if you do not already own one. It makes cutting chicken into bite size pieces a breeze!
Chicken Fried Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 cup dry brown rice- cook according to package directions
- 1 lbs chicken breast- use kitchen scissors to cut tiny pieces of chicken
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup peas, carrots, corn (Use 1, 2, or all 3, I had a frozen medley.)
- ¼ cup or about 5 stalks green onion- diced
- ¼ cup broccoli- finely chopped (To add an extra healthy boost.)
- 2 eggs- beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- olive oil spray
- Cook brown rice and set aside.
- In a large pan, add sesame oil on medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces and garlic. Pour on 2 tbsp soy sauce and stir.
- Turn heat to medium high for about 6-8 minutes or until chicken starts to brown around the edges.
- Then add frozen veggies, green onion, and broccoli. Stir for 3-4 minutes, or until veggies become tender.
- Add brown rice, 2 more tbsp soy sauce, and blend.
- Make a bare spot in the pan, spray olive oil spray and add eggs. Scramble for 1 minute and then start to blend eggs into rice, stirring for about 2 minutes until eggs are completely cooked.
- Drizzle honey on top to sweeten fried rice, and if you like salt, try one last drizzle of soy sauce.