Candle danger

We had a rather eventful Thanksgiving this year.

About a half hour before our dinner guests arrived, I thought it would be nice to light some candles in the living room. I was still cooking in the kitchen at the time and the children, ages 8 and 12, were upstairs playing. At 6 p.m. our guests arrived. Just before I was to serve dinner, my son noticed the tablecloth in the living room was on fire. My brother-in-law was able to get the fire out—but not before it had burned nearly all of the tablecloth and part of the surrounding carpeting. We were very fortunate.

It seems that the metallic-coated tapers that I lit were the problem (my sister has seen this problem in the past as well). Part of the metallic side of one of the tapers caught on fire and slid off of the candle, igniting the tablecloth.

The point to all of this is: candles are lovely to look at and add ambience to a room but they need to be attended.

Kim Johnson, Woodridge

Has something happened or have you received advice you might think will help others in a similar situation? We pay $25 for each published contribution. Send it as an e-mail to chiparent@chicagoparent.com.

Chicago Parent Editorial Team
Chicago Parent Editorial Team
Since 1984, the Chicago Parent editorial team is trained to be the go-to source for Chicagoland families, offering a rich blend of expert advice, compelling stories, and the top local activities for kids. Renowned for their award-winning content, the team of editors and writers are dedicated to enriching family life by connecting parents with the finest resources and experiences our community has to offer.
- Advertisement -

LATEST STORIES

Our Favorite Passover Activities for Kids

From snacks to books and fun games, kids will learn so much about Passover.

Best New Family Movies We Can’t Wait to See in 2024

2024 is welcoming tons of family-friendly flicks. Here are 21 of our favorite kids movies coming out this year.


- Advertisement -