Candle danger

We had a rather eventful Thanksgiving this year.

About a half hour before our dinner guests arrived, I thought it would be nice to light some candles in the living room. I was still cooking in the kitchen at the time and the children, ages 8 and 12, were upstairs playing. At 6 p.m. our guests arrived. Just before I was to serve dinner, my son noticed the tablecloth in the living room was on fire. My brother-in-law was able to get the fire out—but not before it had burned nearly all of the tablecloth and part of the surrounding carpeting. We were very fortunate.

It seems that the metallic-coated tapers that I lit were the problem (my sister has seen this problem in the past as well). Part of the metallic side of one of the tapers caught on fire and slid off of the candle, igniting the tablecloth.

The point to all of this is: candles are lovely to look at and add ambience to a room but they need to be attended.

Kim Johnson, Woodridge

Has something happened or have you received advice you might think will help others in a similar situation? We pay $25 for each published contribution. Send it as an e-mail to chiparent@chicagoparent.com.

- Advertisement -

LATEST STORIES

Best School Districts in Illinois in 2023, According to Niche

Adlai E. Stevenson High School District 125 takes the No. 1 ranking again for 2023.

The Lifelong Benefits of Early Bilingual Education

Preschoolers learn a new language quickly in a bilingual immersion classroom. Learn how German International School Chicago makes this happen and why it matters.

Helping the Child Who Is Struggling With Reading

Since the pandemic, even more children are struggling with reading. What to look out for and how to help, with advice from Redwood Literacy.

Best Things to Do with Kids in Chicagoland This February

Plan ahead! We've rounded up some of the best activities and events to do with kids in Chicago and suburbs this month.


- Advertisement -