This dish is simple, healthy and yummy. For protein, my daughter eats a lot of beans. If an effort to create something the whole family will enjoy for dinner, I added a couple of veggies, some whole grain brown rice and served it warm for a filling meatless dinner.
Black Beans and Brown Rice
- 1 cup dry brown rice, cook according to package directions
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, straight from the can
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
In a large pan over medium-high heat add olive oil.
To the pan, add black beans, red pepper, onion, jalapeño pepper, and orange juice for 5-8 minutes. Blend in cooked brown rice and stir.