When I entertain, I like to put nuts or chocolates on the table for people to nibble on while they are sipping their wine or sitting around chatting. Or, when I go to people’s houses as a guest, I like to arrive with something festive. This Pretzel S’mores Bark is the perfect homemade gift! You can fill a cellophane bag with this decadent treat and tie a cute bow at the top.
My husband was the inspiration behind this recipe. He loves the combination of pretzels and s’mores. While this decadent chocolate bark does not seem healthy, I read a recent study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine that found adults who regularly eat cacao-based treats weigh less than those how eat chocolate less frequently. This is great news because I eat dark chocolate everyday! The cacao may cause a metabolic boost in the body that revs metabolism. This is fantastic news!
My kids really enjoyed preparing this recipe. They watched the chocolate chips melt in the microwave in awe. They took turns crushing the pretzels and graham crackers with the back of a spoon in a Ziplock bag. Their favorite part was sprinkling on the marshmallows, pretzels and graham crackers. My son was strategic about his placement, and my daughter practiced her ballet moves as she kept tiptoeing off with the marshmallows!
Feel free to customize this chocolate treat to your family’s favorite flavors. Have fun choosing which toppings you want- nuts, peppermints or dried fruit would all taste delicious!
Pretzel S’mores Bark
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 graham cracker sheets- crushed
- ½ cup pretzels- crushed
- ¼ cup marshmallows- chopped
- Put pretzels and graham cracker sheets in a large Ziplock bag and with the back of a spoon crush into tiny pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe container. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Microwave for another 30 seconds and then stir. You may have to microwave a couple more times for 30 seconds and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour chocolate onto parchment paper and spread with a wooden spoon or spatula about a little less than ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle chocolate with marshmallows, pretzels and graham crackers.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until the chocolate hardens.
- Peel chocolate off paper and break into pieces.
This bark tastes fresh for about two weeks if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.