Once again I had rotten bananas sitting on my kitchen counter. My daughter noticed them last night and begged to make her favorite banana cake. It was right before bedtime when she asked so I promised her we would bake after school.
As soon as we walked in the door from school, she started looking in the pantry for ingredients. I have been baking a lot of banana cake lately so I tried making up a new muffin recipe to spice up our morning breakfast.
My daughter mashed, poured, stirred and ate way too many chocolate chips and diced apple before either ingredient even made it into the batter!
Banana Apple Oat Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas- mashed (the riper the banana, the sweeter the muffin)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 apple- chopped (peel it if you have the time)
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips and chopped apple.
3. Blend in the chocolate chips and apple last.
4. Pour batter into paper baking cups (produces around 12 muffins) and bake 30 minutes or until cooked through.
*I usually take a fork right in the middle of a muffin and see if the fork comes out clean (ready) or gooey (still needs baking time).