Green apples were on sale at Whole Foods last week, and I bought way too many! Usually I have rotten bananas taking up space on my counter, but this week, it is apples. My daughter requested a muffin baking session. Love when she does that!
With apples as the main ingredient, we came up with this easy yet fantastic muffin recipe. I diced the apples and she tossed them into the mixing bowl. We measured and used her math skills and also worked her tiny muscles by pushing her to stir. No muffin in my house is complete unless chocolate chips are added. These muffins taste so delicious, you do not need the chocolate; however, they go from delicious to decadent with the chocolate.
Chunky Apple Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin
- 1 ¼cup sugar
- 1 cup or 1 large Granny Smith Apple, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice or 1 tsp. cinnamon and ½ tsp. nutmeg if you do not have Chinese Five Spice
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ of a 15-oz. can of solid pack pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix sugar, diced apple, and Chinese Five Spice (or cinnamon/nutmeg combo).
3. Add oil, eggs, pumpkin, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.Mix.
4. Blendin chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until you can put a fork through the middle of a muffin and the fork comes out clean.