It’s crazy to think that the TV show Friends premiered 26 years ago and what’s even crazier is that in 2020, a new generation is still binge-watching the ’90s sitcom. Friends fans of all ages are in for a treat, then.
The Friends Experience: The One in Chicago brings the iconic TV show to life with a new interactive pop-up on the Magnificent Mile. Running Oct. 1-Jan. 3, the temporary exhibit showcases 12 detailed rooms packed with activations and other fun Friends tidbits.
Compared to previous pop-ups in New York and Boston, “The One in Chicago” aims to be bigger and better with the following features:
- Step into re-created sets from the long-running series including Monica and Rachel’s apartment, Central Perk, the “Pivot!” scene and more.
- Take a photo at the life-size art installation of Central Perk made entirely out of plastic construction blocks.
- Test out your Friends knowledge on a screen that looks like Ross’ trivia game board in the show.
- See all the relationships of each character throughout the 10 seasons on a public train map-themed timeline.
- Explore the show’s history with actual scripts and show costumes.
COVID-19 protocols are in place to help guests when visiting. Temperature checks will be taken, masks are required and expect ongoing cleaning of all surfaces. There are even hand-sanitizing and disinfecting wipes stations labeled as “Monica Clean.” Read more about the exhibit’s health and safety procedures.
Dedicated fans will go crazy at the retail store with T-shirts, mugs and more merchandise displayed in glass cases. Friends-themed face masks are even available for purchase.
In addition, The Friends Experience will offer complimentary tickets to youth in underserved communities. A portion of each ticket will be donated to My Block, My Hood, My City, an organization dedicated to helping underprivileged youth in Chicago.
If you go
Temporarily closed. Plans to reopen March 17, 2021.
540 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago (Near corner of Michigan & Ohio)
$35 timed tickets
Find more information at friendstheexperience.com.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.
This article also appeared in Chicago Parent’s holiday 2020 magazine.