This year at the Taste of Chicago, a passport serves as your family’s guide to 34 healthy appetizers, entrees, desserts and beverages from 20 local restaurants.
If you go…
Here is a sneak peek at the list of healthy food options found
in the Humana Healthier Choices passport guide. The options will
also be marked by a green apple symbol on the menu boards of
Appetizers/Starters – Less than 320 calories, 300 mg
sodium and 2 g saturated fat
- Celtic Corn on the Cob – O’Brien’s Restaurant
- Corn on the Cob – Dominick’s Finer Foods
- Roasted Corn on the Cob – Abbey Pub
- Sweet Potato Chips – BJ’s Market & Bakery
- Taste Portion of Malnati Salad – Lou Malnati’s
Main Dishes – Less than 500 calories, 500 mg sodium and 4 g
- Chopped Salad – Pazzo’s
- Crispy Salmon – BJ’s Market & Bakery
- Fresh Green Papaya Salad – Star of Siam
- Garlic Chicken Rice Bowl with Fresh Tomato and Jalapeño Salsa –
Pecking Order (Pop-Up, July 12th only)
- Grilled Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber Salad –
Star of Siam
- Grilled Chicken Taco – Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Grilled Steak Taco – Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Hoppin’ John Salad – Wishbone
- Mustard-Fried Catfish – BJ’s Market & Bakery
- Organic Chick Pea & Herb Salad – Heartland Café
(Pop-Up, July 12th only)
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich- Robinson No.1 Ribs
- Taste of Ham N’ Cheese Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Watermelon Salad – Inspiration Kitchen (Pop-Up, July
Desserts – Less than 320 calories, 300 mg sodium and 2
g saturated fat
- Cherries – Dominick’s Finer Food
- Chocolate Covered Banana – Kilwins Chocolates (Pop-Up, July
- Dark Chocolate – Dipped Banana – The Fudge Pot
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry – Kilwin’s Chocolates
(Pop-Up, July 14th only)
- Frutti Di Bosco (mix berry sorbet) – Caffe Gelato
- Italian Ice – Cherry, Lemon or Orange – Tutto Italiano
- Italian Ice – Lemon, Watermelon, Blue Raspberry Combo –
- Italian Ice – Lemon Watermelon – Franco’s Ristorante
- Lemon Sorbet – Caffe Gelato
- Pineapple Bites – Dominick’s Finer Foods
- Red/Green Grapes – Dominick’s Finer Foods
- Seedless Watermelon – Dominick’s Finer Foods
- Strawberry Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Strawberry Fruit Bar – Churro Factory
- Taste of Nutella Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Watermelon Lemonade – Wishbone
The nation’s largest food festival partnered with Humana Healthier Choices for a sixth consecutive year to inspire an even larger presence of healthy foods and wellness activities. Humana created the free passport guide to help families locate the healthy food and activity choices.
The food options were judged by a panel of Chicago-area physicians and included in the passport guide based on a nutritional criteria for calories, sodium and saturated fat.
“We are thrilled that so many restaurants are joining our efforts to offer healthier foods, allowing us to provide a record number of Humana Healthier Choices this year,” said Dr. Fredrik Tolin, the vice president for Humana of Illinois.
Visitors that use the passport guide can win prizes, including restaurant gift cards and healthy snack baskets. Trying the foods and activities will reward guests with a stamp and after collecting six stamps, guests can drop off their passport and contact information to the Humana booth. Drawings for the prizes will take place on July 14 at 3:30 p.m.
The Taste’s Humana experience doesn’t stop there. Humana’s Well-Being Tour is also stopping by from July 10-13 from 11-7pm The tour is bringing a variety of wellness activities and prizes for fest goers. While picking up a free pedometer, guests can interact with the Your Shape game at the Xbox Kinect station and learn about the importance of hydration while exercising.
Humana is also bringing legendary disc jockey Dick Biondi to the Taste on Sunday, July 14 for a sock-hop dance. From 2-4 p.m., guests can dance to music from the ’50s and ’60s at the Biondi Boomer Bash.
“Taste of Chicago is a great tradition of enjoying local restaurants, good music and celebrating all things Chicago,” said Tim O’Rourke, president of Humana’s Great Lakes Medicare Region. “Humana is happy to be part of that tradition once again, as it ties in perfectly with our dream of helping people of all ages achieve lifelong well-being, while enjoying all that the Taste has to offer.”
Families can pick up their passport guide at their local Dominicks, download it from the Taste of Chicago website or grab one at the event. For more information on the Taste of Chicago, visit their website.