Chicago’s race season offers so many options for your entire family! When there’s a good cause involved, it seems like a great opportunity to get your little ones moving.
Some local races even feature great options for families like a kid run or fun activities. Also, if you prefer to run around your neighborhood, there are virtual options available, too. We’ve rounded up the best races and walks for Chicago kids this fall.
Through Nov. 29, 2021
- Where: Various locations in Chicagoland
- Cost: Free
In partnership with the Chicago Park District and the Chicago Area Runners Association, get up and race with these free, timed 5K or 1-mile runs in local parks. Here are the following parks participating:
- Warren Park (6601 N. Western Ave., Chicago): Sept. 4, Oct. 2, Nov. 6
- Humboldt Park (1339 Luis Munoz Marin Drive, Chicago): Sept. 11, Oct. 9, Nov. 13
- Jackson Park (1686 E. Hayes Drive, Chicago): Sept. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 27
- Douglass Park (Farrar Drive and 15th Place, Chicago): Sept. 25
- Horner Park (2741 W. Montrose Ave., Chicago): Nov. 20
Sept. 18, 2021
- Address: Montrose Harbor, 601 W. Montrose Harbor, Chicago
- Cost: $40-$60 adults, $20 kids, free for dogs
This event might be the most dog-friendly race you’ll see in Chicagoland! Bring your furry family friends for the 5K that helps raises money for PAWS Chicago, an organization that cares for homeless animals.
Sept. 25, 2021
- Address: Gunnar Anderson Forest Preserve, 719 S. Batavia Ave., Geneva
- Cost: $15-$35
Did somebody say doughnuts? You’ll get rewarded with doughnuts after running the 1-mile competitive timed race or 5K Run. Kids ages 6 and under can participate in the Munchkin Fun Run where they’ll receive a cotton shirt and goodie bag.
Oct. 30, 2021
- Address: Adrenaline Special Events, 345 N. Eric Drive, Palatine
- Cost: $35-$50 adults, $15-$30 kids
Get ready for a spooky time with family and friends at the Halloween Hustle 5K. Runners are encouraged to dress up in Halloween costumes and there is even a Kids Dash, too.
Nov. 7, 2021
- Address: Grant Park, 301 S. Columbus Drive, Chicago
- Cost: $44-$74
Hot chocolate fans, this race is for you. It’s your choice to run 2 miles, a 5K or 15K with your family. You don’t want to miss the post-race party where you’ll celebrate with fondue, dippables and your very own hot chocolate.
Nov. 27, 2021
- Address: Grant Park, 1501 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago
- Cost: $37-$60
Turkey trots are a beloved Thanksgiving tradition for some families. Grant Park Turkey Trot knows there’s food on your mind, so you’ll receive a Do Rite doughnut at the finish line. Yum! And you can warm up with some hot cider.
Dec. 4, 2021
- Address: 102 E. Wesley St., Wheaton
- Cost: $25-35
Run run, Rudolph! Participants are encouraged to dress festive in their running gear as they make their way through Downtown Wheaton in this holiday 5K.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.