When Christmas is over and a new year has arrived I think most Chicagoans would agree with me when I say that I am so over winter. Snowflakes, fireplaces and hot chocolate are all well and good during the holiday season, but once the holiday cheer comes to an end, so does a Chicagoan’s penchant for winter weather. The true test of how “Chicago tough” you are starts at the very beginning of January. That’s when you find out if you’re really cut out to live in this town.
Do you have what it takes?
Here are eight things Chicagoans know about winter:
1. We can dig our cars out of a foot of snow like a BOSS! 2. We will wait for the "El" in sub-zero temps. 3. We can layer up to keep warm and still not look like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story."
4. Our cars are covered with road salt and we will angrily honk at any pansy driving slower than 25 MPH.
5. Trudging through the slush and snow is what we call exercise.
6. We will stake our claim to our shoveled parking spot with lawn furniture and baby toys, and woe is he who lays a hand on them.
7. We will curse winter from November through May, then wish for it to return during the sweltering month of July.
8. We love Chicago, despite it's winter woes, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Keep warm and stay safe, Chicago!