As Muslims around the world observe Ramadan this month (March 22 to April 21), some families in Chicagoland may be looking for some fun new ways to celebrate at home or around town.
Here, we’ve rounded up some local events, at-home activities and recipes to help you break fast so that you can put a new spin on your celebrations and teach your children why this holiday is so important to your family.
Looking for a Ramadan event to take your kids to this year? Chicago and the suburbs are full of options for families. Check out some of our favorites this year.
Ramadan Moon Craft
March 20-26, 2023
- Address: Chicago Ridge Public Library, 10400 Oxford Ave, Chicago Ridge
- Cost: Free
Stop by the library during the week to make a Ramadan moon craft.
Ramadan Children’s Program
March 24-April 23, 2023
- Address: The Mecca Center, 16W560 91st Street, Willowbrook
- Cost: $250
During Taraweeh time, the Mecca Center is offering a Ramadan children’s program with educational activities on a nightly basis.
Ramadan Crafts & Activities for Kids
Hands-on activities and crafts are a great way to teach kids about the holiday and the history behind it.
- Children’s Books That Celebrate Ramadan: These books are perfect to teach kids more about Ramadan and why it is celebrated.
- Ramadan Fasting Tracker for Kids: Fasting is a key part of Ramadan. Help your kids track their fast with this fun tracker from Inspiring the Love of Islam.
- Easy Ramadan Treat Boxes for Neighbors: Share your love of Ramadan with your neighbors by making these treat boxes from Happily Hafsa.
- Ramadan Quarantine Activity Ideas: Families at home can focus on Ramadan with these kids’ activities from A Crafty Arab.
Recipes to Break Fast
Ramadan calls for a fast that last from sunrise to sunset, and when it’s time to eat, you definitely need something filling to break it. Here are some delish recipes to try this year.
- Best Fried Appetizers to Break Fast: Take a look at one Muslim mom’s favorite fried appetizers for Ramadan.
- Snacks for Ramadan or Iftar: Find snacks, including baked chicken patties, erachi Pola and more, from Cooking with Thas.
- Ramadan Food Ideas for Serhi or Iftar: ZamZam.com offers 10 healthy recipes for families this Ramadan.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.