As Muslims around the world observe Ramadan this month (April 1-30), some families in Chicagoland may be looking for some fun new ways to celebrate at home or around town.
Here, we’ve rounded up some local events, at-home activities and recipes to help you break fast so that you can put a new spin on your celebrations and teach your children why this holiday is so important to your family.
Looking for a Ramadan event to take your kids to this year? Chicago and the suburbs are full of options for families. Check out some of our favorites this year.
April 8, 2022
- Address: Mary Bartelme Park, 115 S. Sangamon St., Chicago
- Cost: Free
Meal tickets are sold out, but you can still enjoy children’s activities at Mary Bartelme Park in the West Loop.
April 1-May 1, 2022
- Address: The Mecca Center, 16W560 91st Street, Willowbrook
- Cost: $200
During Taraweeh time, the Mecca Center is offering a Ramadan children’s program with educational activities on a nightly basis.
Ramadan Crafts & Activities for Kids
Hands-on activities and crafts are a great way to teach kids about the holiday and the history behind it.
- Children’s Books That Celebrate Ramadan: These books are perfect to teach kids more about Ramadan and why it is celebrated.
- Ramadan Fasting Tracker for Kids: Fasting is a key part of Ramadan. Help your kids track their fast with this fun tracker from Inspiring the Love of Islam.
- Easy Ramadan Treat Boxes for Neighbors: Share your love of Ramadan with your neighbors by making these treat boxes from Happily Hafsa.
- Ramadan Quarantine Activity Ideas: Families at home can focus on Ramadan with these kids’ activities from A Crafty Arab.
Recipes to Break Fast
Ramadan calls for a fast that last from sunrise to sunset, and when it’s time to eat, you definitely need something filling to break it. Here are some delish recipes to try this year.
- Best Fried Appetizers to Break Fast: Take a look at one Muslim mom’s favorite fried appetizers for Ramadan.
- Snacks for Ramadan or Iftar: Find snacks, including baked chicken patties, erachi Pola and more, from Cooking with Thas.
- Ramadan Food Ideas for Serhi or Iftar: ZamZam.com offers 10 healthy recipes for families this Ramadan.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.