Move over Mardi Gras. Chicago celebrates Fat Tuesday with some serious deep-fried deliciousness. Enter paczki. These round, powder sugar-coated or glazed Polish pastries have traditionally been filled with fruit fillings, custard or mousse.
On March 1, they are looked at as a special binge-worthy sweet before the sacrifice. This “little package” of sin has Chicagoans lining up around bakeries all over town. For Paczki Day this year, many bakeries are offering pre-order options. Here are our favorite bakeries to pick up some delicious paczki.
Note: We’re updating our website as quickly as we can, but changes may occur due to COVID-19. Please double check before heading out for the most updated information on safety precautions, vaccine requirements and any last-minute cancellations.
- Address: 1000 Davis St., Evanston
- Pre-order options: Order online; A minimum of 24 hours notice is required for all orders
A North Shore institution since 1938, this bakery usually holds an annual paczki eating contest (canceled due to COVID-19). But it’s still offering plenty of paczki flavors like apricot, chocolate custard and prune.
Bridgeport Bakery has always been a Chicago staple and one of our favorite spots to pick up paczki. This year, it has 16 wonderful flavors ranging from apple and lemon to peanut butter jelly.
In Portage Park, Delightful Pastries provides the famous Polish pastries on their main menu all year. But for Paczki Day, you can enjoy even more flavors!
- Address: 3329 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago
- Pre-order options: Order online; a minimum of 48 hours required for online orders
The North Side bakery offers a variety of paczki for customers to enjoy. Its strawberry cheesecake flavor sounds amazing. Dinkel’s is also selling King Cake, a New Orleans tradition.
- Address: 10 W. State St., North Aurora
- Pre-order options: Order online; place orders by Feb. 27
In the Western Suburbs, Harner’s Bakery will be open all day to give out their paczki. Flavors include apple, cream cheese, raspberry and more.
- Address: 14850 S. LaGrange Road, Orland Park
- Pre-order options: Order online; only open for pre-order pick-ups on Feb. 28
This bakery has been selling their famous paczki since Feb. 1! Good luck choosing just one paczki flavor at Orland Park Bakery. Some options that caught our eye include pineapple, strawberry cheese, and cookies and cream.
- Address: Various locations in Chicagoland
- Pre-order options: Order online
Of course, Stan’s Donuts is not letting us down on Fat Tuesday by beginning to offer paczki on Feb. 26. With delicious flavors cherry, pastry cream, chocolate pastry cream and cannoli, we might have to try all of them!
- Address: 1916 W. Chicago Ave. (West Town); 3626 N. Clark St. (Wrigleyville); 190 S. LaSalle St. (Financial District), Chicago
- Pre-order options: Order online by Feb. 24 at noon
This popular bakery is providing customers with three delicious options — raspberry, vanilla and chocolate.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.