I know I came up with 30 ideas to enjoy in 30 days in the Northwest suburbs. Rest assured my Southwest suburban folks–I haven’t forgotten you. Here are 30 ideas to make the most out of the last few days of summer in the Southwest ‘burbs.
1. Have your cake and eat it too. Visit Creative Cakes Cafe in Tinley Park and watch bakers decorate cakes and other goodies through the viewing window.
2. Visit the waterfall at Lake Katherine Nature Center & Botanic Gardens in Palos Heights. While you’re there check out their great Preschool programs or special events.
3. Make Fridays movie night at Movies on the Green at Odyssey Fun World in Tinley Park. It’s free!
4. Take a selfie in front of a big red caboose near the Tinley Park library.
5. Roller-skate at Tinley Park Roller Rink.
6. See wolves, a tiger, a bear and other animals at Big Run Wolf Ranch in Lockport. Their next open house is on Aug. 19.
7. Visit a new library. Here are some ideas.
8. Have a banana frozen treat at Blissful Banana Café in Orland Park.
9. Explore Willow Springs’ Little Red Schoolhouse Nature Center and learn about animals and nature.
10. Go fish at a Centennial Park in Tinley Park.
11. Play at Centennial Park’s baseball-themed playground in Orland Park.
12. Have kids pick out fruits and veggies at a farmer’s market.
14. Visit a fort, a fort playground that is. Fort Frankfort fits the bill and it’s a splash pad, too!
15. Bike the trail at Centennial Park.
16. Pet animals at The Children’s Farm in Palos Park.
17. Go cosmic bowling at Thunder Bowl in Mokena.
19. Sit on a work of art. Tinley Park has their annual benches on display. The theme this year is ‘Once Upon a Time.’
20. Boogie down and watch Scribble Monsters in action on Aug. 26 at Will County Fairgrounds.
22. Take mini golf to the next level with glow-in-the-dark golf at Space Golf in Orland Park.
23. Got hungry kids? Grab a personal size pizza at Pie Five in Oak Lawn where made-to-order pizzas are ready in five minutes!
24. All aboard! Chow down on burgers served on a train car at All Aboard Family Dining in Frankfort. Kids eat free on Tuesdays.
25. Feeling artsy? Drop by Art a la Carte’s open studio in Orland Park.
26. Find your new favorite flavor at Plush Ice Cream Shoppe in Tinley Park. There’s over 60 to choose from.
27. Explore the Cook County Forest Preserve Trail by horse at FitzJoy Farm in Palos Park.
28. Watch a new flick at Marcus Theatres Cinema in Orland Park. Tuesdays are just $5 and popcorn is free.
29. Find your next treasure at the I-80 Flea Market in Tinley Park.
30. Give back. Donate items to Journey Pregnancy and Life Hub in Mokena. While you’re there, scope out some of the adorable items they are selling such as refinished furniture and housewares.
Would you add anything else?