Bathing suit season is officially upon us. Whether you’ve got lofty fitness goals or simply want to grab a low-key workout buddy, now is the time to do it — for free! Chicago offers plenty of opportunities to learn new fitness skills while meeting your daily step goal.
Get your heart pumping by doing short run circuits and cardio drills with Fitbit local ambassadors in a Cardio Bootcamp Class, or enjoy Mindful Bootcamp, a workout focused on stretches. One lucky participant in each class will win a Fitbit.
- Saturday, June 15: Cardio Bootcamp at 8:30 a.m.
- Saturday, July 13: Mindful Bootcamp at 8:30 a.m.
Chicago Riverwalk between Clark and Lasalle Streets
Keep your body fit and your mind at ease with two free summer fitness programs at Navy Pier. Rush Hour Workouts and Sunset Yoga classes, led by fitness professionals, are designed for all ages and experience levels. Rush Hour Workouts focus on motion fitness while Sunset Yoga is more zen, offering stunning views of the sun setting over Lake Michigan. All classes are held in the stage area of the Polk Bros Park Performance Lawn.
- Tuesdays (through Aug. 20): Rush Hour Workouts at 6 p.m. and Sunset Yoga at 7:30 p.m.
Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Ave., Chicago
Learn dance styles from across the globe straight from the pros every week at Grant Park. With their Chicago Summer Dance program, no two weeks are ever the same. Featuring everything from bachata to ballroom, participants can showcase their skills immediately following the lesson with two hours of live music and dancing.
- Thursdays-Saturdays (June 27 through Aug. 24): Dance lesson at 6 p.m., and music and dancing at 7:30 p.m.
- Sundays (June 30 through Aug. 25): Dance lesson at 4 p.m., and music and dancing at 5 p.m.
Grant Park, 601 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago
Orangetheory Fitness will bring its popular HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts to Wrigleyville this summer, offering free hour-long sessions aimed at newbies. Classes will reflect a similar format as typical Orangetheory Fitness studio classes, but at Gallagher Way, participants are not required to use heart rate monitors.
- Mondays & Wednesdays (through Sept. 28): HIIT at 7 a.m.
Gallagher Way, 3635 N. Clark Street, Chicago
Enjoy a 45-minute Shred 415 pop up class on the second Tuesday of every month on the Rooftop of the Roosevelt Collection Shops in the South Loop. Shred415 combines strength training with cardio, where classes are divided into four 15-minute intervals that alternate between speed, endurance and strength drills.
- Every Second Tuesday (through Oct. 8): Shred415 class at 6 p.m.
Roosevelt Collection Shops, 150 West Roosevelt Road, Chicago
Kick start your summer mornings with a sweat sesh in one of the most beautiful spots in the city – on Millennium Park’s Great Lawn. With the downtown skyline serving as a backdrop and local DJs spinning beats, you can enjoy free 45-minute classes including yoga, strength training, Pilates and Zumba every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays (through Aug. 29): Yoga at 7:30 a.m.
- Saturdays through (through Aug. 31): Tai Chi at 7 a.m., yoga at 8 a.m., pilates at 9 a.m. and zumba at 10 a.m.
Millennium Park, 201 E. Randolph Street, Chicago
Join CorePower Yoga, Lakeshore Sport & Fitness and Pure Barre for weekly outdoor workouts on the St. Alphonsus Terrace.
- Mondays (through Aug. 26): Yoga at 6 p.m.
- Tuesdays (through Aug. 27): Fitness classes at 6 p.m.
- Pure Barre at 7 p.m. on July 2 & Aug. 6
St. Alphonsus Church, 1429 W. Wellington Avenue
Each Monday, experienced Zumba instructors from Rosemont Health & Fitness will lead exciting and invigorating classes from a stage in the middle of the park. Garage parking is free with validation for attendees.
- Mondays (through Aug. 5): Zumba at 6 p.m.
Parkway Bank Park Entertainment District, 5501 Park Place, Rosemont
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.