There can never be too much red, white and blue to celebrate our nation’s Independence Day. These easy and inexpensive sand candles create a patriotic centerpiece for every Fourth of July picnic, barbecue and fireworks party.
- Sand (red, white and blue)
- Clear glass vase or jar
- Drinking glass or smaller vase
- Votive candle
- Optional: Tempura paint powder or colored chalk to dye sand
- Buy red, white and blue colored craft sand at your local craft store. Another option is to color plain sand with tempura paint powder or colored sidewalk chalk.
- Select a slender drinking glass or vase that will fit inside a larger clear glass vase or jar.
- Fill the drinking glass with sand almost to the rim of the glass. Place a votive candle just below the rim inside the glass.
- Place the drinking glass with the sand and candle centered inside the empty larger glass vase or jar.
- Using a funnel, slowly fill the gap between the two containers with layers of colored sand. Create patterns of your choice with a variety of red, white and blue patterns. Fill the outer gap to reach the height of the rim of the interior drinking glass.
- Place the candles on tables for your Fourth of July picnics and light the votive candle for festive flickering light.