These beige bar cookies may not be a feast for the eyes, but they are for the stomach. Layered coconut, nuts and a brown-buttery custard all come together to create a sublime chewy confection that seems straight from Mrs. Claus’ oven.
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 oz. shredded sweet coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (i.e. walnuts, pecans)
- Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts – take your pick. Any nut will do these bars justice.
- Hold the milk. These bars should be paired with a cup of coffee, tea or cocoa.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix cookie crust ingredients and spread into 9 x 13-inch pan with fingers. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add vanilla, flour, salt and powder. Beat just until combined.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Spread mixture over cooled crust. Bake for 25 minutes, until top is set and golden brown.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.