There are lots of way to express love to animals. Work together with your family to make heart-shaped treats for your backyard birdies. This DIY backyard bird feeder is a simply way to show our kids that we need to love all living things.
- 1 1/2 cups bird seeds
- 2 small packets gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- String (about 3- to 4-inch pieces)
- Heart-shaped molds (silicone molds, baking trays, cookie cutters)
*Makes about six bird seed hearts
- Mix the gelatin and water. Simmer until the gelatin dissolves.Allow the mixture to cool. Add 1-1/2 cups birdseed and mix well.The mixture should be pretty thick and very sticky. Add a little bit more birdseed if necessary to reach the right consistency.
- A silicone mold will work best for this project because you will be able to easily pop the hearts out when they are dry, but any heart-shaped vessel will get the job done. Fill your heart-shaped mold halfway with the birdseed mixture. You can also use heart-shaped cookie cutters placed on a baking sheet if you don’t have a heart-shaped mold.
- Tie a piece of string into a loose loop. Position the string into the top of the mold so that you can use it to hang the bird seed heart from a tree branch. Fill the mold to the top with the remaining bird seed. Press down on the birdseed to make sure the mold is packed tightly and evenly.
- Place the mold in the freezer until it hardens. Let the molds dry out for a few days until they come out of the tray easily.
- Hang the heart-shaped bird feeders in your yard as a treat for the birds in your life.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.
This article originally published on Feb. 1, 2013. It has been updated with the most recent information.