If you haven’t been to the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis lately, now’s the time to pack your bags for the three-hour drive.
As the world’s largest children’s museum, the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis has added another 7.5 acres to its already massive 500,000 square feet with the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legend Experience. It includes 12 outside sports experiences and three indoor exhibits, encouraging everyone to get up and move. Not into sports? Don’t sweat it–it’s all about having fun, connecting and getting active together as a family.
And let me tell you, the outdoor space is just plain awesome! Each section offers something for everybody from toddler to teens:
- Challenge the family to a game of H-O-R-S-E on any of the four graduated hoops or take part in a shot clock challenge. Even my little one was able to shoot a couple baskets with a toddler-sized hoop.
- A miniature football field with turf awaits football enthusiasts. Kids can practice tackling wobbling players, throwing passes or kicking field goals.
- Try to score a goal past the goalie at the Indy Fuel Hockey Experience. Again, all ages can participate with small to large goals and toddler-sized hockey sticks.
- Car racing rules in Indy and now kids are able to experience two racing areas. Pedal your way to victory at the Drag Strip Experience or at the oval Pedal Car Racetrack Experience.
- Fore! Kids and grownups will appreciate the 9-hole golf area designed by golf course architects Pete and Alice Dye. Each hole is a mini version from actual courses found around the country. If you have littles, there is a green for toddlers and a putting practice course.
- Play ball! Grab a bat and get ready to hit the bases at the mini baseball field.
- Bring your workout buddy and head to the fitness path. Parents and kids are encouraged to workout together, with kid-size fitness equipment along the fitness path.
- The centerpiece of the area is the huge 60-foot treehouse that includes hidden slides, tunnels and viewing platforms. It’s completely accessible with an elevator.
Inside, with four floors and a variety of exhibits, you’re sure to find something to pique your children’s interests. DC Super Heroes: Discover Your Superpowers! opens June 16.