Zucchini is a great farmer’s market bargain. Use it to make this dish for dinner.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, ends trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup instant dried couscous, like Near East brand
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano or 1 Tbsp. chopped freshbasil and oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until translucent. Meanwhile, scoop the flesh out of the center of the zucchini halves using a melon baller or other small spoon. Be sure to leave the sides intact.
2. Dice the zucchini flesh and add it to the onion and garlic. Season with oregano, basil, red pepper flakes (if using), and salt and pepper. Once the veggies are soft, about 10 minutes, add the crushed tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat and keep the vegetables at a simmer until the tomato sauce has thickened.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous according to the directions on the box. Fluff the couscous with a fork and then add it to the tomato sauce and mix well.
4. Fill the hollowed-out zucchini halves with the couscous and tomato mixture. The mixture will not spread during baking, so feel free to pile it high. Top with shredded cheese.
5. Bake for 30-45 minutes until the zucchini halves are tender. Serve.