Talk about sneaking vegetables in the window. This grab-‘n-go snack has zucchini and carrots, along with egg whites, wheat germ and other healthy ingredients.
- 9 ounces zucchini, shredded
- 9 ounces apple, shredded
- 12 ounces carrots, shredded
- 3 ounces sugar
- 3 ounces oats
- 3 ounces wheat germ
- 8 ounces egg whites
- 6 ounces molasses
- 4 ounces oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 ounces bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces date sugar
- 4 ounces cream
- 4 ounces butter
- In a large bowl, combine all shredded ingredients-carrots, apples and zucchini-with sugar, wheat germ and oats. Allow to stand for 10 minutes-the sugar will draw liquid from the zucchini and carrots, which will be absorbed by the wheat germ and oats.
- Combine egg whites, molasses and oil using a whisk.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to shredded carrots mixture, stirring until thoroughly blended.
- Add egg white-molasses-vanilla mixture, stirring until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into parchment paper-lined half-sheet pan (12 x 18).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until completely set in the middle.
- Combine date sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook gently for about two minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.
- Spread onto carrot bars using a frosting spatula with a decorative swirled pattern.
Yield: ½ sheet pan, (24 servings)