Do you remember this electric Jack Black film from 2003? It’s time for your cool tweens and teens to get a taste of classic rock. Failed rockstar Dewey Finn needs to make rent and he decides to become a substitute teacher at a prestigious private school. When he discovers that the kids have musical talents, he decides to turn the classroom into a rock band in order to win an upcoming Battle of the Bands contest.
The kids have a lot to learn about rock and roll, but there are plenty of life lessons in School of Rock. Here are a few to discuss at home.
- Stand up for yourself. Dewey teaches the kids on how to “stick it to the man.” While your kids shouldn’t insult others as depicted in the scene, talk about other ways they can express their opinions when they feel like they are being treated unfairly.
- Let loose. In the film, many of the students feel pressured by their parents to live up to unrealistic expectations. The rock band allows them to have fun and be young. Explain to your kids how life doesn’t have to be perfect. It’s OK if things are messy from time to time! They should embrace it.
- Teamwork makes the dream work. As Dewey forms the band, he tells the students that there’s a lot of work that needs to happen in order for the band to shine. The kids take on different roles such as stylist, tech crew and band manager. It also shows us you need to work well with others in order to be successful as a team.
Now that you’ve seen School of Rock, try these screen-free activities inspired by the film:
- Rock it out. Love the music from the film? You can blast the classic rock tunes thanks to this Spotify playlist.
- Wear wacky hairstyles. There are so many styles to try to make you feel like a rock star. If you’re feeling wild, try dying their hair temporarily with Kool-Aid.
- Make pop rocks. If you love the sizzling sounds on your tongue, here is a pop rocks recipe to try at home.
- Design band shirts. For kids who want to start a band, have them brainstorm their own band name and design them on shirts with this bleach stencil tutorial.
- Play air guitar. You have to add these inflatable guitars to your next rock session. Feeling creative? Craft these cardboard electric guitars instead.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.