This is my all-time favorite Christmas cookie recipe. I came up with this recipe to replace the powdered-sugar coated pecan cookies that my grandmother used to make.
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar + 2 tbsp, plus lots more for sprinkling on cookies
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure orange extract (optional)
- 1 scant tsp salt
- 5-6 cups of all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a standing mixer beat softened butter until very light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, egg yolk, vanilla and orange extract if using, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add flour a little at a time until soft dough is formed that can be handled easily
- Taking about a teaspoonful at a time, (I use a small ice-cream scoop) roll into a small ball.
- Place on a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 15-20minutes.
- Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar while still hot. When cookies are cool, roll them in powdered sugar again.