Who doesn’t love pizza night? But theres that nagging worry that pizza is a junk food. Try this reduced-guilt pie instead.
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage (use your favorite flavor),casings removed and the meat crumbled
- 2 12-inch pre-made pizza crusts
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place the beans, pesto, lemon juice and water in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (or the temperature indicated on your prepared pizza crust package).
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about7 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage and cook until fully cooked, about 5 minutes (the time may vary depending on whether the sausage was precooked or not).
- Spread the bean puree evenly over the two pizza crusts. Top each with the mushroom and sausage mixture. Top evenly with the cheese (1 cup per pizza crust).
- Bake according to pizza crust package directions and until the cheese melts. Cut each pizza into five slices and serve.
- Tip: The bean puree and mushroom/sausage mixture can be refrigerated or frozen for later use if you only want to make one pizza at a time.
Nutrition information per serving (1 slice): 320calories,12g fat (4.5g saturated), 600mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 20g protein, 25% calcium, 15% iron.
Used with permission by NOWHINE WITH DINNER: 150 Healthy, Kid-Tested Recipes from The MealMakeover Moms“