This dish is easy to prepare, yet elegant. The red pepper flakes give the dish just the right amount of heat for a spicy evening.
- 1-pound penne regate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. While the water is heating up, melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over low heat.
- Add the minced shallots and sauté until translucent, about five minutes. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add the vodka and crushed tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer gently.
- When the water boils, add the pasta and undercook it slightly. A few minutes before the pasta is done, stir the heavy cream into the tomato sauce.
- Drain the pasta and immediately add it to the sauce, tossing well to combine.
- Cook the pasta in sauce for 1-2 minutes.
- Toss with chopped fresh basil and serve.