The Christmas Care Package Nut Brittle is neatly packed into the Christmas section of The Unofficial Hogwarts for the Holidays Cookbook, by Rita Mock-Pike which published earlier in 2020.
The introduction reminds readers of what life at Hogwarts was like during the holidays: “Another care package tradition, nut brittle, is the perfect treat to snack on as you wait for Christmas dinner to be served in the great hall. This recipe is quick and easy, and makes enough brittle to share with all of your friends.”
Looking for more cookie recipes to try at home? Join our Virtual Cookie Swap!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted nuts
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Gather and portion out all ingredients carefully to avoid possible burning during cooking time.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar, corn syrup, salt and water to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the nuts and stir until combined.
- Put a candy thermometer into the mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the temperature reaches 300-F.
- Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat, and quickly stir in the butter, vanilla and baking soda.
- Immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture out on the sheet as evenly as possible.
- Cool the brittle completely at room temperature.
- Snap the candy into pieces and serve as desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.