If Rice Krispies Treats make your heart go pitter pat, their Christmas cookie cousins will make you swoon. Imagine: Chopped chocolate rice candy bars + Rice Krispies mixed in a buttery drop cookie dough. They are chewy, chocolatey and a big hit with kiddos of all ages.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/2 cups crispy rice chocolate bar, coarsely chopped (Nestlé Crunch bar or, even better, Trader Joe’s Crispy Rice Milk Chocolate)
- Kid task: Unwrap the candy bars and put in a large plastic bag. Use an ice cream scoop to pound into chunky pieces.
- Trader Joe’s Crispy Rice Milk Chocolate bars are extra delicious but traditional Nestle Crunch Bars still make this recipe a family fave.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. (Yes, it’s a much lower temp than usual for baking.) Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add egg and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, Rice Krispies and chocolate chunks, blend at low speed until just combined (do not overmix).
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes until golden on edges and set. Rotate cookies after 10 minutes for even browning.
- Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.