The salt makes the meet tender. Be sure to remove the coating before serving. Prep time: 10 minutes.
- 2 cups coarse kosher salt
- 4 pounds prime rib roast
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees F (100 degreesC).
- Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with a layer of kosher salt. Place the roast, bone side down, on the salt. Season the meat with the ground black pepper and seasoning salt, then cover completely with kosher salt.
- Roast in preheated oven for 4 to 5 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 145 degrees F (63 degreesC).
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes. This sets the juices and makes the roast easier to carve. (Note: Be sure to remove all the salt from the roast before serving.)