Make cocoa the kids will go coo-coo for! The trick? Homemade marshmallow topping. Follow this recipe from Sarah Kosikowski, executive pastry chef at Chicago’s Sixteen Restaurant.
- 2 cups chocolate milk
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped (Sarah prefers Valrhona 62%)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 egg whites
To make hot chocolate:
- Bring milk to a boil.
- Slowly pour boiled milk over chopped bittersweet chocolate, mixing constantly until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Spoon marshmallow topping onto the hot cocoa.
- Serve immediately, and reheat if necessary.
To make marshmallow topping:
- While boiling milk, combine corn syrup, water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook to 238° F, monitoring with a thermometer.
- Begin whipping whites on medium speed in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Slowly pour in hot sugar mixture.
- Whip for 5-7 minutes or until slightly cooled and thickened.
- Top hot cocoa.