This chicken is a Sunday staple at writer Karyn Bowman’s house, where cooking together is half the fun.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup prepared honey mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (6 to 8 ounceseach)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Preheat grill pan or griddle over medium heat
- To make the sauce, place a small saucepan over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add red onion and sauté, 3-5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and cook to reduce by half, 1-2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook 1 minute to incorporate.
- Whisk in broth, honey mustard, allspice, and curry powder. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Coat chicken with a drizzle of oil and some salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes, then turn.
- Baste chicken liberally with sauce and grill another 5 minutes.Turn once again and baste. Cook 2-3 minutes more, then transfer chicken to a platter and serve.