Since most fried rice from restaurants are loaded with sodium and super greasy, make this healthy version with brown rice that you can indulge in every week.
Since most fried rice from restaurants are loaded with sodium and super greasy, I created a healthy version with brown rice so my son could indulge in his favorite rice dish every week.
Tip: Before you go out and buy the ingredients for the healthy take on this classic Chinese dish, buy a pair of cooking scissors if you do not already own one. It makes cutting chicken into bite size pieces a breeze!
- 1 cup dry brown rice- cook according to package directions
- 1 pound chicken breast- use kitchen scissors to cut tiny pieces of chicken
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup peas, carrots, corn (Use 1, 2, or all 3, I had a frozen medley.)
- 1/4 cup or about 5 stalks green onion- diced
- 1/4 cup broccoli — finely chopped (To add an extra healthy boost.)
- 2 eggs — beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon honey
- Olive oil spray
- Cook brown rice and set aside.
- In a large pan, add sesame oil on medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces and garlic. Pour on 2 tablespoons soy sauce and stir.
- Turn heat to medium high for about 6-8 minutes or until chicken starts to brown around the edges.
- Then add frozen veggies, green onion, and broccoli. Stir for3-4 minutes, or until veggies become tender.
- Add brown rice, 2 more tbsp soy sauce, and blend.
- Make a bare spot in the pan, spray olive oil spray and add eggs. Scramble for 1 minute and then start to blend eggs into rice, stirring for about 2 minutes until eggs are completely cooked.
- Drizzle honey on top to sweeten fried rice, and if you like salt, try one last drizzle of soy sauce.