These Funfetti Cupcakes are healthier than boxed mix and fun to make with the kids.
My sweet kiddos wanted to bake cupcakes from scratch, and I am never one to pass up a baking project! We debated about the flavor and ultimately settled on funfetti for a colorful sweet treat! This recipe is easy, healthier than your typical cupcake, and delicious!
- 1/4 cup butter – softened to room temperature or microwave for 20seconds
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup low fat milk (*or 2% Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – softened to room temperature or microwave for 20 seconds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the softened butter, applesauce, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder and flour. Stir in milk until the batter is smooth. Blend in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into muffin pan.
- Bake cupcakes 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden and a fork inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, milk and salt.
- Frost away and decorate!