Like cheeseburger pizza, this recipe is a testament to the truth that combining two delicious things almost always ends in a more delicious thing. Also, the truth that a touch of maple syrup makes everything better.
- 1 loaf (10 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (10cups)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt if desired. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with egg substitute equivalent to 8 eggs, skim milk and reduced-fat margarine and without salt and syrup) equals 147 calories, 271 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 19 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm protein, 3 gm fat, 1 gm fiber.