Bring some fiesta to your fireside evening with this veggie-friendly dish. Note: Make the chili before you head out camping; the rest can be done easily at your campsite.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups crushed corn tortillas
- 4 ounces grated Monterey jack cheese (buy an 8-ounce package and save half for breakfast)
- Sour cream
- Chopped green onions
Before you leave home, make the chili: Saute onions and bell pepper in oil until soft. Add sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and taco seasoning mix; cook 2 more minutes. Add beans and diced tomato. Continue to cook until chili is thickened, about 20 minutes.
At the campsite: Spray pot with cooking spray. Place 1/2 the crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of the pot. Top with 1/2 the chili, then 1/2 the cheese. Repeat all three layers one more time, using the remaining chips, chili and cheese. Cook over medium heat until top cheese melts and chili is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions.