This is a meal in itself. It contains a vegetable, protein and whole grain.
- 1 1/4 pounds 96% lean ground beef
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- With a sharp knife, remove the stem and about 3 inches off the top of each pepper. Carefully remove seeds and fibrous membrane from each pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, bulgur, onion, egg, rice, salt and pepper.
- Divide the meat mixture into six portions and stuff each pepper with it.
- Place crushed tomato and water in a large covered baking dish. Carefully add the peppers so they are all standing up.
- Place in a 375-degree oven for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Carefully remove cover as there will be a great deal of steam. Serve on plate with tomato gravy spooned over each pepper and with additional gravy spread around the pepper.