Keep snacks healthy with this kid-friendly dip!
- 1 small onion, halved lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch swiss chard or kale (or a combination of both)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces parmesan or pecorino Romano
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- Few pinches ground black pepper
- Have your child peel the papery skin from the onion and garlic cloves. With adult assistance, have child finely chop onion and mince garlic. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat andsauté onion and garlic until softened, about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, have your child remove tough stems from greens and discard. Tear leaves into small pieces. Add greens and a few pinches salt to pan and sauté until greens are tender, about six to eight minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- With adult assistance, have your child finely grate cheese.
- In a medium bowl, have your child combine cheese, yogurt, and cooled greens mixture and stir well. Pick any seeds out of lemon wedges and squeeze juice into dip. Add remaining salt and stir well. Enjoy with warm pitas or pita chips!
Recipe provided by The Kids’ Table