Translucent pearl tapioca creates the “bubbles,” making this a fun beverage for kids to drink. You can substitute soy, almond or rice milk for the dairy milk.
- 1/2 cup large Chinese tapioca pearls
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup chilled black or green tea, decaffeinated if desired
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cook tapioca in 3 1/2 cups of water for 30 minutes, then leave in warm water for another 30 minutes. Drain and rinse in warm water. Add the sugar and toss. Divide tapioca between two large glasses.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and shake together or place in blender.
- Pour mixture into the two glasses of tapioca pearls. Serve with large straws.