This recipe is perfect as a breakfast or brunch treat. Plus, it has healthy touches for a guilt-free treat.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon lemon, which is zest from one lemon
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with theblueberries)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Mix butter, applesauce and yogurt with lemon zest and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Toss blueberries with ¼ cup of flour (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom), then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to batter, alternating with the buttermilk.Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool before serving.