Avocados are high in folate and healthy fats, with a neutral flavor and creamy consistency that make them ideal as one of baby’s first foods. If you use organic English (hothouse) cucumbers, which are unwaxed and have small seeds, you can skip the step of peeling and seeding them.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup peeled and seeded cucumber
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Makes about 3/4 cup guacamole
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise around the pit and twist the halves to separate. Remove and discard the pit.
- Using a spoon, scoop the flesh of the avocado halves into a food processor or blender, discarding the skins.
- Using the large holes of a box grater-shredder, shred the cucumber, then add it to the food processor or blender along with the cumin.
- Process to a smooth puree, or, depending on baby’s age and chewing ability, you can leave the puree a little coarser. If necessary, add enough water, breast milk or formula to thin the puree to a consistency your baby can handle.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one day. (Some discoloration may occur during storage.)