As we try to spend more time at home to stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the kids are restless. The words “I’m bored” have come out of their mouths more times than you can count. You knew it was coming. Now what? We’ve got you covered with plenty of at-home activities to help cure their boredom.
Things to Do with Kids at Home
- Movies, Shows & Games
- Virtual Activities
- Kid-Friendly Recipes
- DIY Projects
- Children’s Books
- Family Fitness
- Backyard Fun
Movies, Shows & Games
You can easily find enough family entertainment at home. Pop popcorn to watch a few new movies or gather all your pillows and blankets to build the most epic indoor fort. Here are a few more fun ideas to try.
- Family Movies and Shows Streaming This Month
- Educational YouTube Channels for Kids to Watch
- Watch This, Do That: Kids’ Activities Paired with Movies
- Classic Board Games for Families to Play
- How to Build the Ultimate Indoor Obstacle Course
- Podcasts You’ll Enjoy Listening with Your Kids
- How to Build a Fort Indoors
Zoom doesn’t just have to be for e-learning! Kids can spend time on there to connect with long-distance relatives and friends. Make their next video chat more entertaining like playing games or going on a virtual vacation.
- Fun Backgrounds to Add to Your Zoom Calls
- Easy Ways to Host a Virtual Playdate
- Virtual Experiences from Your Favorite Chicago Attractions
- Interactive Family Games to Try Over Video Chat
- Virtual Family Vacations You Can Enjoy at Home
Make new memories in the kitchen by getting the whole family involved. Explore our recipes collection to find a dessert or dinner that your kids can help out with. Here are some of our favorite recipes to make.
- How to Make Portillo’s Chocolate Cake at Home
- Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Easy and Healthy Snack Recipes
- Popsicle Recipes You Have to Make
Get all your creative juices flowing with crafts and other cool projects. From exciting science experiments to simple coloring pages, your kids won’t even notice that they’re learning something new too.
- How to Make Fireworks in a Jar
- Free and Creative Coloring Pages
- Cool Science Experiments to Try at Home
- Easy Crafts to Make from Recycled Materials
- Cheap, Easy and Fun Sensory Bin Ideas
- How to Make Your Own Kaleidoscope
You don’t have to wait until bedtime to read a good book. Squeeze in a few more reading times throughout the day to encourage your kids to love reading. On your next library trip, check out a few of these titles mentioned below.
- How to Start a Family Book Club
- Best Books About Chicago
- Spanish/English Bilingual Picture Books
- Books for Young Hamilton Fans
- Wild Animal-Themed Books
It’s tempting to lay on the couch all day. But you can still get moving at home whether it’s in your living room, in your background or around the block. Give these fun family workouts a try to get your heart pumping.
- Virtual Races to Add to Your Running Schedule
- Free Online Workouts to Keep Your Family Energized
- Yoga Poses to Try with Your Family
- Ways to Make Family Walks More Fun
If your family has a backyard, make the most of it by taking some of your favorite at-home activities outdoors, like making an obstacle course or reading a book. Also, here are a few seasonal activities to try throughout the year.
- DIY Backyard Bird Feeder
- Steps for Backyard Camping Success
- How to Make the Most of Your Backyard Pool
- Build Your Own Backyard Ice Rink
Follow Chicago Parent on Instagram.
This story originally published on ChicagoParent.com on Jan. 19, 2018, and has been updated.