Wild Beef and Mushroom Bake
Think you can't get your kids to eat mushrooms? Think again. With lean beef and plenty of fresh ingredients, this meal packs a powerful nutrition punch, too.
- 1 pound ground beef (90-95 percent lean)
- 8 ounces assorted fresh wild mushrooms (such as cremini,
shiitake and oyster) or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package (5.6 to 6.6 ounces) wild rice mix with
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
Total recipe time: 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Makes 4
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat large nonstick skillet over
medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and mushrooms; cook 8-10
minutes, breaking into crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove
drippings. Stir in rice, contents of seasoning packet and
- Spoon beef mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Stir in water
indicated in rice package directions, plus 1/2 cup additional
water. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven 45 to 50 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, 5
minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Nutrition information per serving: 380 calories; 11 g fat (5 g
saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 86 mg cholesterol; 822 mg
sodium; 36 g carbohydrate; 2.1 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.1 mg
niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 26.7
mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
Recipe courtesy of BeefNutrition.org.