These special sweets are so simple to fix, you'll want to skip the store-bought kind for good.
- 1 package (7 ounces) watermelon-flavored hard candies
- 1 yard of 1/8-inch-wide satin ribbon in white or the color of
- 3 to 3-1/2-inch heart-shaped metal cookie cutter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1-3/4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Candy hearts: Place heart-shaped cookie cutters on a piece of
foil, leaving space above the top of each cookie cutter for placing
the ribbon hanger later. Coat the foil and cutters with cooking
- Cut the satin ribbon into six 6-in. lengths. Place the ends of
one ribbon piece together to form a loop. Position the ribbon loop
at the top of one cookie cutter so the ends are touching the foil
and the loop drapes over the top of the cookie cutter. In the same
way, position a ribbon loop on each remaining cookie cutter. Set
- Unwrap the hard candies and place in the large resealable
heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush the candies using a mallet or rolling
pin. Transfer the candies to the large heavy skillet. Cook over
medium heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Fill each prepared cookie cutter with the melted candy to a
1/4-in. thickness, covering the ends of each ribbon loop at the
same time. Let stand for 1-2 minutes. Carefully remove the cutters.
Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Royal icing: In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar,
water and meringue powder. Beat on high speed for 6-8 minutes or
- Insert the pastry tip in one corner of pastry or plastic bag
and cut a hole in the bag. Place the icing in the bag. Pipe the
desired designs or Valentine phrases on each heart. Yield: 6 candy
Editor's Note: Meringue powder is available from Wilton
Industries. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
See more of 's stories here.